Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical Master,Diesel Specialist, Lead Tech/shop foreman
12781541

2003 Dodge Dakota 4.7 Vehicle was driving fine in cruise

Customer Question

2003 Dodge Dakota 4.7
Vehicle was driving fine in cruise control...all of a sudden it kicked the cruise control off and started stumbling...would not go back in cruise control. Had codes P0339 and P0300. Changed the Camshaft and Crankshaft Sensors, and spark plugs and now the P0300 is still there after being cleared and still runs rough. Ran contribution test and #2,#3,#5,#7,#8 are showing to be misfiring, but only giving the code P0300. Checked for vacuum leakes...none found. Fuel pressure is 50psi.....any suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace the crankshaft sensor with a factory replacement or after market?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

aftermarket

Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.
We have seen this problem caused by excessive carbon build up on the valves, but at this point I would recommend first to replace the crankshaft sensor with a factory part. The after market sensors are coming out of China and are bad out of the box. This has been a big problem for awhile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i have them coming from the dealership....lets see how that works

Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, got the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensors from the dealership and installed them and NO change???? Checked gas for water...none found. ??????

Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.
Unplug the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor and run the motor, if the motor runs better with the CKP sensor disconnected, check the timing chain alignment. If the above checks out oak Perform carbon cleaning treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, unplugged crankshaft sensor and no real change in running other than on the contribution test only cylinders 14567 were showing misfires, but once crankshaft sensor plugged back in went back to 23578.

Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.
I think it would be best to re open your question and see if one of the other techs can add to finding a solution to this problem. I will re open it and another tech will be with you shortly. Don't respond to this post or it will lock me back into the question and another tech will not be able to respond. Thank You for using just answers.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.
Hello, new expert here.
Your fuel pressure is within spec. Spec is 49.2 +/- 2, so that is good.
I see you said you did a contribution test.
Did you do a compression test?
If so, what are the readings on all 8 cylinders.
If not, you need to do that next.
Also, do you know if the vehicle has overheated recently?