jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

1993 dodge spirit stalling

Customer Question

1993 dodge spirit stalling
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi can you tell me a little bit more as in when it stalls .
does it seem to run bad ?
what size motor ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's all the juicy details It is a 3.0 with overdrive Two years ago I put a new fuel pump as well as plugs wires cap and rotor
It is not my car but belongs to a friend. So yesterday he was driving home and after a half hour drive it began to loose power quickly and then died, he coasted to the side of the road and restarted it but it only ran for a few moments before dying again.
He called me so I went to tow him home and when I started it to put it up on the dolly it continued to stay running untill I shut it off 3-4 minutes later. I brought it home and it will idle without any problem .
If the fuel pump wasn't new or a lot of miles were put on it I would say that was the problem.
I am thinking sensor cam or crank or ignition module in the distributor
what do you think ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I send my message successfully ? I can't tell.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
yes, I just got back from the studio ,got a new guitar .
has the fuel filter been changed recently ?
as in; within the past year ?
that is the first thing I would check .
I always recommend a fuel filter change every year ,no matter if it appears good or not .
I am not ruling out an electrical issue but it is running now and the filter may be getting clogged or a piece of debris got into a passage or the fuel pump impeller.
so check that anyways to rule it out.
it is hard to properly diagnose a vehicle when it is not doing what it did or is running good with no apparent issues.
...jazzmaster...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the filter was also changed with the pump
Is the Ign. Module in the distributer ?
I am thinking that when it heats up under cruising conditions that the ignition module will act up
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
yes the ignition module is in the dist but you may have to drive it a little and then park it running and keep your eye on it to stall or start to stutter....
If the fuel filter was changed with the fuel pump and it has been 2 years as you stated ,then you cant rule out a fuel problem,and the way you described it sound to me as that may be the problem ..
If the filter turns out to be good then we can pursue the ignition side of the car ..
maybe put an inline spark tester on one of the wires and test drive it and see..
as a long shot the fuel pump could be going bad or as I said there may have been debris in the fuel pump impeller and that passed or got dislodged .
are there any engine trouble codes /check engine light on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there are no fault codes just the standard 12 and 55
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
ok, then please check the fuel filter and it may have to be driven to make whatever failed at the time to repeat itself .
so use a spark tester(inline) and drive it a bit ,then park it and let it run to see if it stalls again.
if anything I would most suspect a fuel filter or ignition module/pick up.
also, keep in mind that there could have been a fault with the fuel pump ,as in that debris got caught in the impeller of the fuel pump and caused this problem ,but became dislodged and now is working fine .
I would check the filter and drive it with a spark tester on it .
if the filter is good then and if it stalls again and has no or weak spark then I would recommend the ignition module ..jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
if the filter is good then and if it stalls again and has no or weak spark then I would recommend the ignition module
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/93mej-1993-dodge-spirit-stalling.html#ixzz3as0jB5pQ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before you responded I had already installed a distributor and changed the filter and took it out for a drive
No problems, but then again I dion't expect it to happen to me
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
you should have told me that ,when I first replied .
was the fuel filter dirty or clogged a bit .
it could have been the dist ,since you replaced that so it may not have that problem again .
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
if I helped you please rate with a positive smiley face ,if I didnt please let me know why and what was wrong with the vehicle ..thank you
Please don't rate bad if the issue wasn't what I helped you with.
and please reply back to me ...jazzmaster..