Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Neon: My question is twofold. I changed my motor mounts and

Customer Question

My question is twofold. I changed my motor mounts and tranny mount on 2003 Neon SXT. After this job I have mushy brakes. Didn't touch any brake system components, just all mounts. (Had to remove air cleaner, battery tray, K-Frame mount for tranny mount and throttle cable but no brake components.) Now car has mushy brakes and can't stop quickly. Brake lines look ok. No brake fluid anywhere. I replaced the master cylinder with brand new just in case and replaced all fluid with new. Bled system and brakes are just the same. SO THEN I was looking at vacuum lines to check them and accidentally pulled the small diameter vac line (AC system I think) line out of the firewall when I was checking it and the check valve. Now I have to figure where that vac line goes under the dash. How do I reconnect it? And any idea what to do about the brakes? Must be something simple, as they were fine before the motor mount job.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I still need help...can't you offer any advice at all? I'm new to Just Answer but that reply doesn't offer me any help at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm headed home to work on this after working a night shift but I'm disappointed to not see anything helpful yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So....got home and was able to re-insert the vacuum line for the AC. Found a posting online with photos of the disassembled dash and found that the line connects to a larger line just above the heater core stubs. I pulled away the gasket from the firewall side and was able to re-insert the line. That problem is now solved.
BUT....the brakes still aren't 100% right. I pulled and checked the check valve and gasket from the brake booster. Seems fine. Check valve operates properly. I replaced both, then capped the "third" vacuum hose nipple, since that line just goes to a capped end anyway (not sure what option that extra vacuum line would have been to.) The braking system does feel better after that, but not perfect. Again, all this started after the motor mounts were changed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it out on my own. I am requesting a refund. Your reply was useless to me. Thanks anyway, but your profile should clearly state that you only work overnights. I would have asked a different expert with hours during the day.