Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge Caravan: 2007 Dodge caravan. Alternator fried. Replaced

Customer Question

2007 Dodge caravan. Alternator fried. Replaced it and battery as well. Drives great now. However, had no power to windows, locks, radio, climate control center. Checked ONLY fuse box and found only one bad fuse. Replacing it fixed radio and power windows. Still have no ac, power locks, or climate controls. If fuses are good how come I have this problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! It is possible that the BCM locked up. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 2 minutes. Then reconnect it. See if the power locks now work. Let me know.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected neg cable for 10 minutes and reconnected. Still nothing. Also, driving home tonight I noticed I have no interior lights.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you are sure that there are no blown fuses, then I believe that you have a failed BCM. To confirm this have a shop connect a capable scan tool and see if it will communicate with the BCM. If it will not, then the BCM must have failed And will meed to be replaced. It is possible that the fried alternator may have damaged the BCM. The BCM controls interior lighting door, locks, and other electrical systems on your van. Double check the fuses one more time and use a 12 volt test light if you can To check them. There are little test points on each fuse. If one test point lights 5he light, then the other one will also light it. If it does not, then the fuse is blown.
I hope that this helps,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Chris for your time. Is this the same scan tool that part stores use when the check engine light is on? I'll check it out and let you know.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Well it is the same type but only if it has the software to communicate with the BCM. The cheaper scan tools do not. So call the parts store first and ask them. If they do not have one that will, then call some shops in your area and see if they have a capable scan tool. However keep in mind that they may charge you a fee for checking the BCM. Let me know how it goes.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris, fuses are good. Advance Auto hooked up tester and one thing came up. The code said that there was a lost battery connection. Does that mean the ECM is communicating?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Yes that does mean that the ECM is communicating, but the ECM is the engine computer. I want you to have them check communication with the BCM Body computer. You may need to go to a shop that has the correct scan tool Advance Auto may only have a scan tool for the ECM, but call them first and see if their scan tool will work with the BCM.
Chris