Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Transmission will not go into park

Customer Question

transmission will not go into park
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

hi i'm bill
welcome to just answer
please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information

i need more info, is this a gas or diesel, which transmission is in the vehicle is it 2 or*****and is there ANY resistance on the shift cable, does it shift properly other than no park?

be aware you may have to go inside this transmission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bill, it is a 2006,5.9 diesel,***** 1ton, there is no resistance on the cable, it shifts properly other than no park.

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

that eliminates a lot and that's good, first have you looked at the connection at the transmission yet? and if it looks good I.E. properly connected you will need to have an assistant or your self move the shifter to see if the cable is moving, what needs to be done is determine if the problem is in the transmission or the column or cable.

we don't have any issues with park so there is no common failure here

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
with no resistance on the cable i would guess at the connection BUT if it goes into each gear using the shifter there may be an issue with the manual valve in the valve body