Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge: Jerry I have a 99 Ram 2500 4x4 with a V10. Having

Customer Question

Hi Jerry
I have a 99 Ram 2500 4x4 with a V10. Having problems with my transmission and it's acting a lot like some of the other posts, however, sometimes if I'm at a complete stop and press the gas it feels like it doesn't have any power. It will take off but it feels like it's towing a heavy load and it's not. When I put more gas to it eventually it will find a gear, rpms will shoot up and it's gone. This usually happens when I have the peddle about two thirds to the floor. It will also surge at about 40 mph. I can have it half way to the floor and it seems like its bogged down then all of a sudden, again the rpms will shoot up like it just down shifted. This will also happen at cruising speed. Will be going down the highway at 60 and it will feel like it has no power and it needs to be in a different gear. I can floor it and it will pin your head back. Sometimes it will find that final gear and that's it. But, sometimes it will find that last gear and cruise at 75 mph with about 2000 rpms for a little bit then the rpms will drop and it feels bogged down again. This happens about 75 percent of the time. No check engine light ever comes on. Checked the fluid when I got home and it looks to be over filled. Would that cause the transmission to do that? What are other possible problems?
Thanks,
Tony
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** you for using the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
There has been a factory service bulletin, (not a recall) for that type of concern. It involves a software update for the vehicle’s computer and has to be done by a dealer, I hate to have to say.
.
.
Here is a link to what it states.
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wz6egrgcn20xc2v/Vehicle%20Performance.pdf?dl=0
.
.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks