Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Rob I replaced water pump only on 2002 dodge intrepid 2.7

Customer Question

Hi rob I replaced water pump only on 2002 dodge intrepid 2.7 timing chain,sprockets, look good put every thing back exactly how it came apart l have a p0016,p0123,p0108 & a noise where timing chain is & hesitation when excelating could it be the tensioner.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Before I can have an answer, I need a bit more info...
Where did you purchase the Water Pump?
Did you compare the new water pump sprocket to the old one?
Were they exactly the same or was the new one slightly different?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not replace the sprockets, the only thing I replaced was the water pump.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
The water pump includes a sprocket that is part of the water pump that is driven off of the timing chain, did this sprocket look exactly like the old one or is is different??...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, i took old one to auto store, counted teeth on sprocket they are the same.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Ok as long as the water pump was exactly the same, yes, I suspect that the tensioner has failed. These are known for failing upon removal and reinstallation... This likely caused the timing to jump time and set the other codes..
At this time, you will need to disassemble the engine again and reset the timing chain and replace the Timing Chain Tensioner....
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!
Thank you!
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you was a big help.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Highly recomend to NOT run the engine as if it skips again, it WILL cause engine damage....
If you have additional questions or need diagrams or something when you are redoing this, let me know, I'll be glad to help....
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page(Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert