Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.
9795573

Ram 2500: I have 2004 Dodge 2500 I have replaced the fuel filter

Customer Question

I have 2004 Dodge 2500 I have replaced the fuel filter and it still won't start. It acts like it wants to but it won't turn over
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
What engine do you have, and can you tell me about how it acted up to the time it failed. Let me know how many miles it has on it too. Last question, have you checked the onboard diagnostic system for trouble codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a 5.9 engine with 138,000 miles on it. I was driving down the road when it stalled. I coasted into a fuel station and it wouldn't start again. I have checked the onboard diagnostic system for trouble codes. nothing
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
I would start by checking the fuses, to make sure they are all good. Be absolutely sure there is enough fuel in the tank. From there with no trouble codes present, I would check the fuel system mechanical portion. You have an electric lift pump, on an 04 it should be on the back of the fuel filter housing. The lift pump delivers fuel to the high pressure injection pump. You need to check and see if the lift pump is running. If everything is quiet and all accessories are off, with the door shut, window down, you should be able to hear a quiet little hum for a second or two when you turn the ignition on if the lift pump is running. From there if the lift pump is running it is time to check the high pressure fuel pump. That takes some special tools. If that checks out them you need to go into the electronics that drive the injectors, and that gets pretty deep. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.