Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge d150 318v8: Tried starting my 1988 dodge d150 318 v8.

Customer Question

Tried starting my 1988 dodge d150 318 v8. Clicking noise when turning ignition and smoke from dash. Truck not starting.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed starter month back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Truck started when trying in afternoon. What can be problem, it runs now.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to oue site. I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused on what specifically you need our help with; can you clarify whether you're just seeking an opinion on what could be wrong, or are you looking for technical guidance on how to fix the issue yourself (must have tools and skills)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a tech years ago but still work on my own cars. I will fix the problem myself just need insight into what it could be.
I don't mean to offend you in any way, but since I don't know what your technical skill level is, I'll tell you what the main problem is and then we can proceed from there.Smoke from the dash means that a power circuit has shorted to ground and thus has created enough heat to burn or melt wire insulation or plastic connector. The fact that you don't mention any blown fuses makes me believe the power circuit in question is either not protected by a fuse, or a bigger fuse has been installed (ex: 30 Amp fuse instead of the recommended 10 A).If the smoke was created when turning the ignition, then the first thing you need to do is to remove the lower panel and column shrouds to gain visual access to the wiring coming in and out of the ignition switch.Please reply once you've identified the burnt wire or connector that caused the smoke, so I can upload the pertinent wiring diagram to help us trace and repair the bad circuit. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will let you know when I do that.
Please do. Thank you.