Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

Journey: I have a 2010 Dodge Journey 3.5L AWD SXT. My wife

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2010 Dodge Journey 3.5L AWD SXT. My wife came home last night saying the high temp light came on just before getting to the house. When she pulled in there was steam coming from the drivers side of the engine. I looked at it and saw that the steam was coming from a hole on the drivers side of the engine block. It looked to me like she was missing a bolt sine the hole was circular. After I added water to get the temp down, I filmed the following. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg1ZlR3ry7s
Any ideas on what might be the problem? I don't have the exact mileage, but I think it is somewhere in the 50,000 range. She only drives to and from work, less than 20 miles per day.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep tech with 23+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!
Thank you for providing that video, that really helps!!
There is a 1" diameter freeze plug in the engine block behind that hole and the freeze plug must be leaking around the outside or rusted through. You will also notice the other side has the same plug but it's higher up and visible.
Unfortunately the transmission needs to removed in order to remove the plug and inspect the block. The plug part number is(###) ###-####B.
I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick reply back. I have contacted Dodge and they told me that this is covered under the 100,000 mile power train warranty.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That's great, I'm glad to hear that they'll cover it!
Thank you,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm just checking in to see if you have any other questions.
Let me know.
Thank you,