Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Avenger: I have a 2012 Dodge Avenger. When my headlights are

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Dodge Avenger. When my headlights are on and I turn on the right turn signal, it starts to click really fast and dings. I just had every bulb checked, all the non LED ones are working. The guy said to try to unhook the battery for 30 minutes to reset something. Is it that simple? It looks very difficult to reach the battery.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Can you run a test for me... Go out and start the vehicle and leave in park, turn on the right turn signal and go outside and check to see if ALL right turn signal bulbs are flashing... Post back the results and we can go from there....
There is an easy way to disconnect the battery with out actually accessing the battery itself. While out there, look under the hood on the driver strut tower. You should see the negative jump start attachment. If you remove this cable at that point it is effectively disconnecting the battery. Leave it unhooked a couple minutes and retest the bulbs..
Keep me posted on your results...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, car in park, started, right turn signal on, outside right back taillight LED are all on, all round dot like spots are lit up, even brighter than the left side.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Are they blinking or just on solid? How about the front? Are the front lamps on and blinking fast also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solid and very bright. All the front lamps are on, blinking at a normal pace.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Those are factory taillamp assemblies, correct?
Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and I also need to know the how many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN: 1C3CDZAB0CN18628478, 820
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And yes, factory taillamp
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Since everything is working properly except that right rear tail lamp and the lights in fact do light up, I suspect one of two problems causing this. Either the TIPM has disabled the right rear lamp for some reason and/or has electrically locked up. If this is the case, disconnecting the battery should at least get this temporarily working. If this keeps happening, then I suspect a problem with the wiring, lamp assembly or TIPM itself. IF this is the case, it would be best to have this diagnosed at the dealer as the TIPM is an onboard computer and will need to be interfaced with a scanner to properly diagnose the system. It may be as simple as a flash update or the TIPM may be faulty and needs to be replaced..
The other thing that comes to mind is that the Right rear lamp assembly may be faulty and causing this problem. Since there are LED's in this taillamp it must include the proper resistors to work properly with the TIPM, if the resistors are faulty it could be sending the wrong resistance value back to the TIPM making the TIPM think there is a problem and disable the circuit and flash the indicator fast as a owner warning that there is a problem...
While you were out there, did you see the battery cable jump start terminals on the left side under the hood? IF you did, disconnect the negative one for a few minutes then reconnect it to see if this helped... If you need help finding the jump start terminals let me know...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I will try that when I get home!
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
cool...
I'll be here in case you have any additional questions....
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Please remember, this is a PAY Site...The Deposit you have posted with JustAnswer DOES NOT credit me until you leave a "POSITIVE" rating... Please Remember, my answer is based on the information you posted here, so feel free to add any additional information you feel may be helpful...When I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate my service to complete the transaction...Bonuses are ALWAYS Appreciated!... Need more help? Just ask... you can follow up on this question even after you leave a Rating! If you are not satisfied with my answer, let me know by clicking the "Reply to Expert" Button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery trick didn't do it. I think it's time for the dealership.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Probably a good idea...
If you have them give you a printout of the codes, I can give you a second opinion if you like...
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated.