Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I have a 2006 avenger with a carb. when I shut it down

Customer Question

hi, I have a 2006 avenger with a carb. when I shut it down it makes a loud bang ,I had the motor replace 2013 what the problem??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is this a amphibious off road vehicle?

If it's back firing out the exhaust then that indicates the air/fuel mixture is too rich and the gasoline is still burning as it leaves the combustion chamber, hence the popping or backfiring in the exhaust.

If it's back firing back out the intake manifold then that indicates a too lean air/fuel mixture and as soon as the how air left over in the combustion chamber hits that fresh cool gasoline when the intake valve opens, you get an explosion or backfire out the intake and carb.

Either way, check the fuel pressure. Change the fuel filter and air filter. If the tailpipe is blowing out black smoke then the engine is flooding.. Check the choke also. It should be fully open once the engine warms up.

Ignition crossfiring can also cause backfiring so double-check the firing order.