MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

I have a 2008 Chrysler town & country touring van, when I hit

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Chrysler town & country touring van, when I hit the tailgate button either on the dashboard or the key fob, it opens okay, but then it automatically comes back down and wont stay open.... help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for your inquiry. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you...

Have you tried opening it manually? Will it hold or does it fall also?

Please let me know and we can go from there. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can open it manually, but it doesn't stay open that way either....

Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information!

This would be from a failing prop rod. The prop rod is the gas strut on the passenger side that is attached to the body and the liftgate. This prop rod is supposed to support the weight of the liftgate and hold it open. If it has become weak or has been leaking it won't support the liftgate and will need to be replaced. You will need to acquire one from the dealership. With the help of someone holding the liftgate up or something to hold the liftgate up, pop out the spring clips on the head of each end of prop with a small screwdriver. You can pop them all the way out or just enough to clear the ball that the prop locks to. Once removed the new one can be popped right back into place and hold the liftgate open.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you need further help or information. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it the same one that is on the drivers side of tailgate?

Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
I am glad you asked. I had forgotten that on the 2008-2010 models had props on both sides. The newer ones only have the one on the passenger side as the new motor is a hydraulic arm that supports the door also from the driver's side. So on yours you may need both or you may only need one of them. I have seen where one is bad and allows the door to come down you can replace just the one and the other may still be fine. The trouble is it's hard to tell which one it is without replacing them each one at a time. You can remove the props and they may be very stiff trying to collapse it by hand but it's still too weak for the liftgate. You can remove both of them and see if one is noticeably weak. If so you can start by replacing just that one. Otherwise replace both as necessary. I would need the last eight of your VIN to look up the part number as there are two different ones. May can also locate them for less online compared to the dealer cost.

Please provide the last eight of your VIN if you would like for me to look them up. Otherwise visit the dealer to get the props and replace them.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you need anything else. Thank you!
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Just checking in to see if you have reviewed my last reply or if you still need help or information. Please let me know.

Thank you!