Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge Ram W250: 1988 Dodge Ram W250 4WD with 360 eng. 727 tran.

Customer Question

1988 Dodge Ram W250 4WD with 360 eng. 727 tran. has TBI with SMEC next to battery. Will start and run for a second and quit! Took to shop and have a list of what has been checked and replaced.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.
When the engine stall out, does it start right back up or does it take a while for it to start back up. Does it crank over and not start when this happens? If so, does it have spark when cranking? Does the check engine light come on with key on when it does not start?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine starts and runs when key is in start position only, and only for a half of a second.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get a list of parts that have been replaced ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
No, I do not see the list of things that was replaced already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, new fuel pump, strainer, filter, new computer. have good fuel pressure. have checked relay by changing it and bypassing it, still the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also tested MAP sensor for proper voltage.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Start by checking to be sure that the check engine light comes on with the key on. This will ensure that the computer is awake. If it only stays running with the key in the crank position, then the ignition switch itself might just be bad.
Another possible cause would be a bad pickup inside the distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello, anyone there.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, I sent over a reply and I have been waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will check the pick up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Might be tomorrow.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good I hope this helps please don't forget to read my answer is excellent service for assisting you today.
We can always continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer.
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, talk to you soon.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, new pick up, still starts and immediately dies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello, anyone there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This engine is a 360 that was put in in the late 90's. It had a 318 in it. Both had Throttle body injection (TBI). Distributor has a hall effect sensor and not a pick-up! Just replaced the hall effect sensor and it will only run for a second when you crank! The computer has been replaced and the MAP sensor has been checked out for proper voltage. The MAP sensor circuitry checks out O.K. Prior to all this we replaced the fuel pump in tank and fuel filter. This engine is getting fuel! Something is cutting off the fuel to the fuel injectors when the engine is cranked!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Are you sure the ignition switch is not bad??? It might be as simple as that..
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, my # ***** mechanic says the ignition switch is powering everything that is supposed to have power. but i will double check to make sure.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.
If that checks out good, see if the engine will remain running on starting fluid.
Also, please feel free to call me.
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, my mechanic says there is one power wire in and one comes out constant, and one in start position, both have power when it is supposed to. check engine light is coming on.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok does the engine remain running on starting fluid?
Can you keep it running with your foot I the gas?
Was the ignition coil replaced??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can keep it running on ether, if i pump the gas peddle i can make it run a little longer, but it still dies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not replaced the coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
acts like its not getting fuel.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
What is the temperature at? Maybe have a bad throttle body and or injectors??
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I meant to ask what the fuel pressure is at?
You said the map sensor and TPS were replaced?? If so have you checked these signals key on engine off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel pressure @ 50 psi, map sensor replaced, what is TPS?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The TPS is the throttle position sensor located on the side of the throttle body.
This engine should also have an oxygen sensor. Was that replaced?
If the engine starts and runs on starting fluid then we obviously have a fuel delivery problem. The map sensor should be the number one input to the computer for injector pulse width. Even been replaced probably should check the signal from the map sensor back to the computer when the stalling condition occurs.
Throttle position sensor signal is also very important as well it should be a about a volt or less with Key on and engine off, throttle plate closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will check voltage on new map sensor, 02 sensor has not been replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now we have replaced the pick-up and fixing to replace the fuel pressure regulator, could this cause the no start issue?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, it is possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, we preformed a fuel pressure test while keeping it running on either, the fuel pressure remained at 50 psi, the book says its supposed to drop to around 15 psi.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
According to my book, it should be between 13 and 15 psi
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Please let me know!
Customer