MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

Dodge: clicking noise inside car

Customer Question

clicking noise inside car
Category: Dodge
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your inquiry. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you...
I will need a little more information to better understand the situation. Where does the noise seem to be coming from? Behind the dash or around the shifter? Does it do it steadily for several seconds and then stop or is it continuous? Does it seem to be more apparent during turns?
Please provide this information and we can go from there. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
behind the dashboard
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply!
I apologize for the delay.
This would be from a failing actuator for the heater and air conditioning unit. Normally at the shop we would connect to the A/C control head and check for codes. If an actuator is making the popping noise a code is normally stored. Without the scan tool we need to check for any difference in the way the air conditioner is working. Such as not changing position from dash vents to floor and to defrost. Also check for temperature not changing when adjusting the temperature control. Could even possibly be the recirculation door. When it isn't making noise adjust each control separately. Start with the recirculate button first as it's as easy as pressing the button and see if the noise starts again. Wait at least a minute after pressing the button. Then adjust the temperature full cold, wait about a minute, then full hot and wait about a minute. If noise still isn't heard after the temp controls then try adjusting the vent position. Change to each position and wait for the noise then on to the next position.
Please let me know which control change can cause the noise to start up. It is likely to make noise any time it is turned on or turned off but would manually have to feel for the failing actuator. If we can duplicate the noise by adjusting the controls we would know which one to investigate as there is 3-6 actuators per vehicle.
Please let me know what you find and we can go further. Thank you!
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Just checking in to see if you have more information for me to proceed in helping to determine which actuator is failing. Please let me know.
Thank you!
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Checking in again to see if you still need help or have any new information. Please let me know.
Thanks!