Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 1991 ram 1500 pick up and it will cut off after start

Customer Question

i have a 1991 ram 1500 pick up and it will cut off after start up when the temp is between 100-180 but starts back up and after it has ran for a while it doesn't cut out what could cause this? thanks fred
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your Ram to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.
Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks i will check it out.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!!
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem?
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!
Thank you!
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Chris