sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge SX2.0: I am Duane, i have been a mechanic way too

Customer Question

Hi I am Duane, i have been a mechanic way too long. we put winter tires on my girls car at the first of winter. it is a 2002 SX2.0 the tire size is 185\65R15. But I but on 195\65 R15 and drove it all winter without any problems. Now i jacked it up on one side and changed the O2 sensor under the car and installed her rear mud flaps. On the way home i heard this bad noise when the car goes over small and big bumps. The tire on the rear driver's side is hitting and rubbing on the strut. I looked at it but cannot find out what is wrong.But i have never worked on an alignment rack, and don't know where else to look. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The problem could be a few things depending on where the tire is rubbing.
If the sidewall of the tire is rubbing the tube part of the strut then either the strut is bent, one or both of the lateral arms are bent, or the knuckle itself is bent.
If the tire is contacting the lower spring seat part of the strut then most likely the seat has broken and dropped down under spring pressure.
It's also possible that the strut mount is broken and has allowed to the top of the strut to move.