bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

2010 dodge ram: I have a dodge ram 3500 2010 with factory trailer

Customer Question

I have a dodge ram 3500 2010 with factory trailer breaks. The lights work but the breaks will not on my boat. The little trailer break light does not go on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
hi i'm bill
welcome to just answer
please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information
have you tried another trailer with trailer breaks?
that is the first thing to do and will verify whether the problem is in the truck or your trailer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not the trailer. I just had another guy pull it. my truck was towing fine last month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see that my truck connector has 6 pins + one in the middle. The trailer has only 4 pins and one in middle.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
that is the issue you need a 7 way round connector on the trailer NOT a 5 way round, the 7 way has battery feed, trailer brakes, turn/brake lights(left and right),back up lamps, park lights and ground, you need to convert the trailer to a 7 way round or get an adapter from your trailer supply shop the best thing would be convert to 7 way round since that is the standard for trailers with electric brakes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so there is such an adapter from 5 round to 7 round?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
not that I can find like I said if you intend on using the trailer brakes you must convert to 7 way round or 4 way flat if you do not intend on using the trailer brakes.
I did find this but have never done it and I cannot guarantee it will work with your truck
https://www.etrailer.com/question-27898.html