sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Ram: , my 1993 cummins ram did not start so I hot wire

Customer Question

Hi, my 1993 cummins ram did not start so I hot wire started and the FSS so as to get home ...but it will not shift out of park.... any ideas??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the trans doesn't shift out of park it could be an issue in the trans, a linkage issue, or a problem with the ignition interlock in the steering column. Keep in mind that even though you've powered the shutdown solenoid and can run the engine without the key in the run position you won't be able to move the shifter unless the key is on. Did you have the key in the run position when the shifter wouldn't move?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. The key had to be in the ignition and in the run position to unlock the shifter. Ran it home and am awaiting a new ignition switch. Thanks.
You're welcome!