Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Caliber: 2007 dodge caliber a/c system has 115 psi on both

Customer Question

2007 dodge caliber a/c system has 115 psi on both lo and hi side when a/c switch pushed on light comes on but no clutch sound and no pressure differance
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
temp is changing with hot cold knob but not A/C cold Blower is working normally recirculate button is normal can hear and feel change in air flow light is on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is a round piece of sheet metal turning with the compressor pulley where I'm used to the clutch being it turns all the time whether A/C on or off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see a wire connected to where the clutch would normally be but there is a wire to the back of the compressor is that the clutch wire?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. I understand your confusion. This compressor is nothing at all like the ones we used to see. Allow me to describe the system and tell you how it works:The A/C system in your caliber uses a variable displacement swashplate-type compressor which is driven by the engine through a drive hub and pulley. This A/C compressor does not require the use of an electromagnetic clutch, as the compressor uses an integral control solenoid to reduce or increase the stroke of the five pistons within the compressor by automatically adjusting the angle of the swashplate.When the driver turns the A/C on, the pressure transducer sends a signal to the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) that is then relayed to the main computer (PCM) which then sends voltage to the solenoid in the compressor. At 115 psi as you indicate, the system should be cooling. Since it is not, then we would need a capable scan tool to scan the system and detect any faults - as an option, and taking into consideration that some of these signals are pulse-width modulated, a lab scope can also be used as a diagnostic tool. I can certainly guide you through a systematic diagnostic process with either tool. Please let me know how you'd like to proceed. Best Regards.