Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge intrepid se: My engine oil leaks onto my serpentine belt

Customer Question

My engine oil leaks onto my serpentine belt causing the belt to slip off where would the leak be 2001 dodge intrepid se
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! The most common cause of an oil leak onto the timing belt of a 3.5 engine is a camshaft or crankshaft seal that is leaking. Is the car st a shop now?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not the timing belt it's the serpentine belt that it leaks onto
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Oh sorry I should have read the question better. Ok, is it engine oil or transmission/power steering fluid that is getting onto the belt?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don know but it affecting the tentioner pully it can only be oil or power steering because it's black
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me check a few things. I will be back in about 10:0 minutes
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
After researching this, I think it is power steering fluid. I sat that because the crankshaft seal is behind a cover on that engine and that would keep engine oil off of the serpentine belt. It could be a transmission cooler line, but if the trans fluid was getting on the belt, you would have big puddles of trans fluid under the vehicle.. So it has to be the power steering pump shaft seal causing this. Clean off the power steering pump pulley area with a can of spray parts wash. Drive the car about 25 miles. Then look at the power steering pump pulley. If you see oil beginning to collect around the pulley, then have the power steering pump replaced.
I hope this information helps you!
Chris