Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Chrysler: ,having a issue with a pacifica 4.0 with p0016..

Customer Question

Hello,having a issue with a pacifica 4.0 with p0016.. my cam crank difference is approx 1.0 to 1.5 , new belt water pump tensioner.. the car bucks, no cruise control. .doesn't go over 3k..took it to dealer and they couldn't find any thing..
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In 99% of all cases this code is set due to the timing belt alignment. Scope the Camshaft Position (CMP) and Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensors. The CKP sensor outputs groups of 16 pulses with a wide reference notch every 180 degrees. The CMP sensor outputs groups of 1, 2, or 3 pulses in this pattern: 1-3-1-2-3-2. The 2nd spike in the group of 3 should be centered over the wide reference notch (open at the top) of the CKP sensor if the timing belt has not jumped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had that belt off a dozen times...the right sprocket is the one I can't get lined up...it's bout 1/2 tooth off advanced...I do not have a scope..wish I did..so I took it to the dealer..they said marks look good, they scoped the ckp, and cmp. Said the wave forms look good..I compared the cam crank difference with my dodge journry..the Pacifica was at 1.5 ish and my journey was approximately 2.0 ..I even swapped the cam sensor.no luck.. I even pulled the cam sprockets and compared them with new ones..the dealer even did the cam crank relearn..as so did i..the only Thing left is pcm and crank sensor..if the dealer did scope it..they should have been able to tell what was going on either electrical or mechanical right? I have been told the right/rear cam is a pita to line up..and it's normal for it to be off like mine is..ty

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Its normal for it to be off a bit and 1/2 tooth would likely be okay. I would sure think the dealer should have been able to tell you what is going on here if you are sure its not timing belt alignment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ya, according to them it was all good, timing and sensors..for 300 I got I big we don't know, must a mechanical issue.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I would agree and its likey someting to do with the timing belt, as I said, in 99% of all cases this code is a valve timing concern.