Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Durango SLT 5.2: my 2000 dodge durango slt won't shift into

Customer Question

my 2000 dodge durango slt won't shift into park. It happened all of a sudden today.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello...welcome and than k you for using Justanswer.
First thing you need to do is checking the shifter cable where it connects to the transmission under the vehicle ,make sure is connected and there is no play on it .
If it looks ok ,you can just pop it of the lever and see if you can shift the transmission to park by hand ,if you do ...make sure the cable moves freely and check the shifter inside the vehicle ,make sure there is no play where it connects to cable and also there is nothing jammed.
Good luck.
Let me know.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything seems good with the cable, can't find anything jammed. Still can't get it into Park, I have to leave it in Neutral.I've tried tilting the steering wheel in different positions and stepping on the brake etc, it just won't go into Park.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hi there...
Do you have the shifter ate the steering wheel or at the center console ?
can you disconnect the cable at the shifter and put the transmission in park by hand ?
Can you remove the ignition key ?
Does the vehicle start like that ?
Let me know.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shifter is at the steering wheel. We have not tried disconnecting the cable and trying to get it into park by hand. I will have to have my husband get it up on ramps again. Since I've owned the vehicle, the ignition key has always been able to be pulled out at any time, even while driving. And I just now discovered that the vehicle will start without the key, interesting.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
It looks that is going to be the problem ,you will need an ignition lock cylinder , the shifter lock is not working properly because of the worn out ignition lock cylinder.
good luck.
let me know.
Thank you.