sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2003 dodge 3500 diesel: I have a 2003 dodge 3500, it will not

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge 3500, it will not start, amp guage will not move, batterys are well charged, turns over, cant get codes will not come up
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if your ECM isn't awake. If the ECM isn't awake then obviously it won't start, but it will also have no communication and the voltmeter will stay down with the key on.
The problem could be the ECM itself or an outside electrical issue taking it down. A loss of power or ground or a short on a few different circuits will take it down.
If fuses are good then the ECM powers and grounds would need to be tested as well as testing for a short to ground on the reference voltage circuits, and testing for a short to voltage on the sensor ground circuits. An internally shorted fan clutch is a common cause of a short that will take down the ECM.
If everything does check out and the ECM is down then it can be condemned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can ecm just go bad, it has 937,000 miles on it
Yes, definitely.