Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My center console shifter of my 2006 Dodge Charger rt, has

Customer Question

My center console shifter of my 2006 Dodge Charger rt, has a malfunction. It will not let me out of park. When I try to release it with the manual override button, it will not release either. Also when the vehicle is turned off and the car is still in gear, it will not allow the vehicle to go into park. This poses a larger problem if there is an accident and that part breaks.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, there may be a recall on yours involving the shift interlock system.
I need the 17 digit VIN number and also the production date. Open your driver's door and either on the door or the door sill is a manufacturer sticker. It will have the month and date production.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vin 283ka566h215442
date9/05
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, it is not part of the recall, but you might want to call Chrysler to see if they will goodwill yours since it is a known issue. There is a return spring lever hook on the shift interlock that breaks. The shifter assembly has to be removed and then the upper shifter housing separated from the lower shifter housing and the spring lever and hook assembly removed.