Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 2000 dodge pu tryin to see alternator is draining

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge pu tryin to see alternator is draining battery
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. Additional services may be offered for detailed information. If you can verify without a shadow of a doubt the battery is good. Test for battery voltage on the Dark Blue wire at the alternator. It should be there with the engine running. This comes from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Check for battery voltage at all times on the Black/Gray wire, this goes directly to battery positive throught the 140 amp GEN FUSE. Ground the Dark Green wire at the alternator with the engine running. This will full-field the alternator. If it now charges, then the PCM is at fault. If it does not charge, the alternator is at fault. I hope this information is helpful to you.Should you have any questions please let me know.Thanks.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
I can offer additional services for 5 bucks and continue this conversation through email with diagrams and technical information specific to this vehicle. Please let me know the first 10 of the VIN to assure we are on the same vehicle. Please accept my offer for 2000 dodge pu so I can better assist you.Let me know Yhanks