Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

Dodoge ram 1500: My 46 re transmission is slipping in second

Customer Question

My 46 re transmission is slipping in second gear. When leaving a stop. It does slip/ while driving just for a stop. My question is is this a soleniod issue, or internal transmission issue
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Has your check engine light turned on? If so, what fault codes do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No check engine light has come on yet
Ok, thanks. Have you checked the fluid level and the condition/color of the fluid? How is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its ok but color is blackest /red was planning on pulling pan and changing filter and fluid
Thanks. Alright since the check engine light hasn't turned on we can pretty much rule out anything electrical such as the solenoids. It looks like this is an internal with the transmission and the blackish fluid tends to support that. The fluid will turn this color when it has been overheated. Dropping the pan is the next logical step and pay close attention to what you find in the bottom of the pan. If you find metal shaving or what looks like coffee grounds in the pan or filter then it will confirm an internal failure.I hope that helps to answer your question, but if you need anything further please reply back to me. Thanks!