Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. It has a moonroof in it. The

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. It has a moonroof in it. The motor is works. It try's to go back but it stops. It's like their is something in it that stops it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I've run into this scenario a number of times at my dealership and each time it has proven to be an internal failure of the motor itself. The motor also houses the electronic controls and this complete assembly is what you will be replacing.You'll need to lower the headliner down and you will find the motor in the centre of the roof panel, directly above the front edge of the back seat cushion. Hope that helps....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know a rough estimate on what it might cost? Can we do the work our selves
Parts costs as well as labor costs vary quite a bit depending on your specific location so what it costs in my area may be substantially different than your area, so your best bet is to inquire locally for the costs in your area. If you are handy, then yes you can do this yourself. One very important step is the need to initialize the new motor once it is installed. The procedure to do that is.....MOTOR/MODULE INITIALIZATION NOTE:Verify the battery is in good condition prior to performing this procedure. Do not leave the vehicle on a battery charger while performing this procedure. If the voltage at the sunroof motor/module drops below 11 volts or exceeds 15 volts at anytime while this procedure is being performed, the motor/module initialization procedure will not be properly completed.1.Turn the ignition to the RUN position.2.Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and hold until the sunroof glass panel has moved to the full vent position and the motor movement has stopped for at least 1 second.3.Press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full closed position. This will be considered the first sunroof closed position in a series of four sunroof closes.4.Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should move to the full vent position. After the sunroof motor/module has stopped, press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full closed position. This will be considered the second sunroof closed position in a series of four sunroof closes.5.Continue to move the sunroof glass to the “vent” then “closed” positions two more times so that the sunroof glass has moved to the closed position a total of four times starting with the first sunroof close in step 3.6.Press the open position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full open position.7.Press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full closed position. This will be considered the first sunroof closed position in a series of five sunroof closes.8.Press the open position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should move to the full open position. After the sunroof motor/module has stopped, press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full closed position. Continue to move the sunroof glass to the “open” then “closed” position four more times so that the sunroof glass has moved to the closed position a total of five times starting with the first sunroof close in step 7.Verify proper EFL calibration by placing a standard pencil at the front of the sunroof and then moving the sunroof to the full closed position. The sunroof should reverse direction upon contact without damage to the pencil.