Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

1500: 2002 dodge ram 1500 gave me 81code on cluster test.

Customer Question

2002 dodge ram 1500 gave me 81code on cluster test. Also rpm gauge all over the place and fuel guage is not working properly
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!
My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.
Have you connected a scantool and retrieved the codes in the cluster? Code 81 doesn't mean anything..
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but nothing. That code was retrieved from my instrument cluster reading. I beleve its radio circuit code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I held my trip meter button down and turned ignition on and that is the cofe that i was given
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your instrument cluster is going out, but you will need a scantool to monitor the fuel gauge and RPM signals from the PCM to determine if its a signal or cluster issue..
Brad