Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 99 dodge ram 2500 diesel 4x4 has had a shifting issue

Customer Question

my 99 dodge ram
2500 diesel 4x4 has had a shifting issue for a while. I rerouted the wireing from behind the alternator and it shifted properly for about 3 days and now its back to sticking in same gear around 45 mph. if you get it to shift it will run and shift up and down but if you get back to 45 mph your stuck there until it finaly decides to shift again. what is the issue
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!
My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.
How does the fluid look? Have you ever replaced the governor pressure sensor on the valvebody?
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fluid looks good there is only 4000 miles on transmission rebuild. I would assume that governor pressuresensor was changed when the transmission was rebuilt. Even after the tranny rebuild day one it was still happening. It was the transmission guy that told me it was the wires running behind the alternator that was causing the shifting issue because of the magnetic field caused by the alternator. He said to wrap aluminum foil around the wires and that would fix the issue. I did this and yes it did not work. I looked online and found I should split the harness and reroute the wires away from the alternator. I did this by running the wires over the radiator and covered them with rubber tubing to keep the heat off them. This is when it shifted fine for 2 days and then went back to the shifting issues. I replaced the PCM and this did not correct this issue either.