-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Grand Caravan SXT: I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with 88,000

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with 88,000 miles. It pulls to the left when I let up on the accelerator pedal while in intermediate gears and pulls to the right when downshifting into passing gear due to accelerating to get on a freeway ramp. It doesn't seem to be affected by braking or steering changes, only acceleration and deceleration when shifting.
Is this a transmission problem or a steering/linkage problem and how do I get it fixed. My wife refuses to drive the car because it is too scary.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!
My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.
What your referring to is "Torque Steer" and to rid yourself of it you will need to take and have it alligned. Tell the tech what's it's doing and they may have to loosen to engine cradle and shift the engine but they will know how to make it a lot better..
Have you had an allignment done?
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I just replaced all four tires and had a complete alignment done on it at Pep Boys. It seems to either be the same or a little more pronounced.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
HI,
So you just replaced the tires to help cure the torque steer? If so is the rack and pinion bushings tight as well as the engine cradle?
Torque Steer is worse in vehicles like yours, and what I mean is un-even CV axles. One is shorter than the other and the Torque Steer is more pronounced. I can promise if it's really bad then finding what is shifting shouldn't be hard. Have a check on all that and let me know what you find..
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll have an alignment specialist take a look at it.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
You very welcome!!!
And thank you for the positive rating.
Brad