-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Ram 2500: I have a 04 dodge ram 2500 diesel and have a vibration

Customer Question

I have a 04 dodge ram 2500 diesel and have a vibration at idle , you feel it on the steering wheel and the seat of your pants , very annoying , truck runs great , no black smoke .good on fuel , just the vibration , what is it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!

My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.

When did the vibration start? Is it a crankshaft speed vibration?

Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean but the vibration can be felt at the steering wheel at idle and under my seat and just started a week ago

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you there

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Tony,

Thanks for the reply!!

Whati was referring to was does the vibration increase in intensity when you rev the engine, or is it related to engine speed? Has anything recently been done to the vehicle?

**Edit** Yes I'm here, I have other customers I'm replying to as well.. Thanks

Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The vibration seem to increase when your driving. I opened the hood and put my hand on top of the engine and it is vibrating not an engine miss.you feel it mor on the air horn intake. I changed the fuel filter a week ago and one high pressure line because of a leak but it ran fine.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Tony,

So the vibration is at idle and increases when you drive it? Have you checked the motor mounts and the crankshaft damper? And you say it started all of a sudden?

Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have checked the crankshaft damper and the lines line up perfectly, I looked at the motor mounts but they seem to be good but I'm not a professional technician. I was thing of just replacing the damper but it is very expensive and it might not work, I hate throwing parts at it.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Tony,

If the motor mounts and damper look fine then I would remove the serpentine belt and see if your vibration goes away, then if it's gone spin the pulleys and find the bad component. If it's still there loosen the engine and transmission mounts, start the engine for 1-2 min and shut off and retighten, evaluate the vibration.. If it's still here unbolt the converter and slide it back and start engine. Is vibration is gone replace converter...

I hope this helps, and if you need anymore assistance all you have to do is reply..
And feel free to request me for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs.

Have a great day,
Brad
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for the positive rating!!

Have a great day,
Brad