Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

Dodge Ram: The servo motor on the heater inlet door only rotates

The servo motor on the heater inlet door only rotates in the clockwise direction, this breaks the flapper door. What would controls the servo motor direction?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX you for allowing me to assist you! It is the HVAC control head in the dash that controls all of the servos, so if it will not go the other direction, then replace the control head.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Chris,

Since I asked the question I have got the motor to rotate counter clockwise twice. Would you still blame the problem on the control head? is there any chance it could be something else? When you refer to control head are you referring to the manual control dials in the dash?

Tim

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Well Tim, to be perfectly honest with you, I see more servos fail then the control panel, so I recommend trying a new servo first. The only other thing it may be is a loose or spread terminal at the servo connector, so check that aw well. And yes, the control head is the panel that has the control dials on it.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Chris,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I did try a new servo, that I bought with the new air inlet flapper, and it operates the same as the old one. I need to get this truck operational today while I purchase a new control head. Can I install the servo, not connect the wires until I get the new control head installed? Or... do I need to be concerned about the correct position of the servo with regards XXXXX XXXXX control head so it will not break the new flapper?

Tim

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Tim that will be fine to leave the servo disconnected. When you install the new control head, it will recalibrate the servo. Just disconnect the negative battery cable before you replace the control head.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Chris,

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to be sure I understand, you are telling me that regardless the position of the flapper and servo when I remove the negative battery cable and replace the new control head it will recalibrate the servo automatically and I should not have to worry about breaking the flapper?

Tim

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.
Yes Tim that is correct.

Chris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Chris,

Awesome! Great! Thank you for your assistance today!

Tim

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.
You are welcome my friend!

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech