Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

3500: I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 my battery read

I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 my battery read 17 to 20 volts at

Hello, my name isXXXXX you for allowing me to assist you! This is a connection problem between the 2 batteries. Have you checked/cleaned any of the battery cable and ground connections yet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

checked and cleaned both sets of battery cables cleaned and checked battery grounds to body

Ok well the way this charging system works is the PCM monitors battery voltage from the left battery. The alternator charges to the right battery. If the PCM senses low voltage at the left battery, then it will increase voltage from the alternator to try and bring it up to the required 14 volts. If there is high resistance on that big cable connecting the 2 batteries, then the PCM will ramp up the voltage until it sees at least 14 volts at the left battery. I have seen thus before, and replacing the big cable that connects the 2 batteries usually fixes this. You can prove this by taking a jumper cable and connecting it to both positive battery cable posts. If the voltage cones back down to around 14 volts, then replace that big interconnecting cable. The other thing it may be is that the left battery is failing, but the right battery is good. So test both batteries separately with an electronic battery tester. Your auto parts store will do that for free. If one battery fails, then replace both of them. This i's going to be a connection or battery problem.