Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

dakota: hi I have a 1998 dodge Dakota that either has headlights

Customer Question

hi I have a 1998 dodge Dakota that either has headlights and no running lights or interior dash lights or running lights and interior dash lights and no headlights
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX you for allowing me to assist you! That is a typical indication of a failed CTM (Central Timer Module). The CTM is responsible for lighting wipers, horn, power locks and if equipped remote keyless entry. Have the ctm replaced. This will fix this. If you want to replace it yourself, let me know and I will send you the procedure.

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I replace it myself

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Steve, here is the instructions for replacing the CTM. It is mounted to a bracket next to the right side of the glove box.
Chris
CENTRAL TIMER MODULE

Before replacing a high-line Central Timer Module (CTM), use a DRB scan tool to determine the current settings for the CTM programmable features. These settings should be duplicated in the replacement CTM using the DRB scan tool, before returning the vehicle to service.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the glove box from the instrument panel. See Glove Box in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Remove the three screws that secure the bracket to the outboard side of the instrument panel glove box opening Central Timer Module Remove/Install
Remove the two screws that secure the Central Timer Module (CTM) mounting bracket to the outboard instrument panel glove box opening bracket.
Remove the outboard glove box opening bracket from the instrument panel through the glove box opening.
Pull the CTM and its mounting bracket into the glove box opening far enough to access and disengage the wire harness retainer from the CTM mounting bracket.
Unplug the wire harness connector(s) (one connector for the base CTM, two connectors for high-line CTM) from the CTM.
Remove the CTM from the instrument panel.
Reverse the removal procedures to install. Be certain to engage the mounting tab on the outboard side of the CTM mounting bracket with the slot in the right instrument panel end bracket. Tighten the CTM and mounting bracket screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
NOTE: If a new high-line Central Timer Module is installed, the programmable features must be enabled and/or disabled to the customer's preferred settings. Use a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced the ctm with one from a local junk yard it had the same part number as the old one. and I am still having the same issue

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Really? That is strange. Let me see what else it may be Steve. I need to research some diagrams and then will get back to you.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Steve, is this truck a Canadian vehicle with daytime running lights?

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no but it does have a plow

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do a thorough inspection of all ground connections under the dash and in the engine compartment. See if you find any that are loose, corroded, etc, Let me know if you do,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have cleaned a couple in the engine compartment but I will look for some more

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, hopefully that is the problem.

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have cleaned and check multiple grounds with no luck

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, Let me see if I can find any service bulletins related to your problem.
Chris