ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,dodge dealer Tech
10832065

Neon: What if you dont get any codes?

What if you don't get any codes? I'd thought the car ran better after sitting for a few minutes. Just checked and it's difficult to start. Won't idle anymore, will keep running (smoothly) with a little gas. Add enough to move and it drops away. No power, tries to die.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 9 months ago.

ASEMaster35yrs :

Hi, glad to be of help. Sounds like a bad fuel pump. Check fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is below minimum specs, replace fuel pump & filter.

Customer :

Would that get me a check engine light with no codes?

Customer :

It's an honest question.

Customer :

I don't think you're going to answer. You don't want feedback. I don't want to damage your rating. I don't want to be charged, either. Apparently no one knows why there are no codes, and there probably should have been one for fuel pressure. I'm guessing main computer. Tell me how to back out.

ASEMaster35yrs :

Codes usually indicate an emissions problem. Some things will not show a code. If you have a more complex scanner you can see what's happening as it occurs. There are usually no codes for fuel pump since it is not an emission item.

Customer :

p0627- fuel pump relay circuit

Customer :

p0461- fuel level sensor #1 performance
p0462- fuel level sensor #1 low

Customer :

wouldn't I have gotten one of these?

ASEMaster35yrs :

You would if there was an electrical malfunction but not if it's a mechanical malfunction.

ASEMaster35yrs :

What scanner are you using, some scanners do not detect all things.

Customer :

Three years ago this car quit the same way on a hot day. After an hour of waiting for a rollback, it started and ran fine in city traffic with no engine light. The tech who arrived on the scene told me the computer overheated. Relevant? No other occurrences, till now. It's cold outside. Sticking with the fuel pump?

Customer :

Not using a scanner, The typical on-off, leave the key on the third time. No codes.

ASEMaster35yrs :

No, I'm saying check fuel pressure key on, engine off and check for 12 volts at fuel pump.

ASEMaster35yrs :

If you have 12 volts to pump and fuel pressure is below minimum, replace fuel pump.

Customer :

That's a daylight job for a mechanic. Not sure what to do here. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Sorry I don't have more to tell you.

ASEMaster35yrs :

Before replacing any parts, you must first check & verify that it needs it. Guessing may cost more than having it checked out.

Customer :

Good advice there. Good evening.

ASEMaster35yrs :

.Fuel pressure is the first thing to check

ASEMaster35yrs, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,dodge dealer Tech

Thank you for your positive feedback. Thank you for using just answer. I would try replacing the fuel filter first. See video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLQVJ1Pm7Ow

If you need more help let me know.