-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge 2500 5.9 cummins diesel: I have a 2005 dodge 5.9 cummins

I have a 2005 dodge 5.9 cummins diesel lately the engine will rev up when it comes to a stop almost like power breaking i have to stay on the break if i let off the break it will take off then drop off. I do have a bullydog triple dog gt on my truck when its off or on it does the same thing.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your question today...

I'm a 15 Yr Dodge Dealership technician, and can you tell me if possibly it's the transmission? If you drop it into drive will it start to rev up, and if you put it back in park does it rev up more before it drops to a idle?

Brad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well it will rev up when you come to a stop and it kicks down to low. when i put it in neutral it wont climb any firther it seems to gain 300rpm .when i put it into gear it wont accelerate with the break on like a power brear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well it will rev up when you come to a stop and it kicks down to low. When i put it in neutral it wont climb any firther. it seems to gain 300rpm when i put it into gear it wont accelerate with the break on like a power break.
The transmition seems to be shifting ok.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brad you still there?

John,

I was asking because it could be a faulty torque converter that is staying locked up.. The complaints are usually engine reving up while stopped in drive, and only does it in drive.. If you start the engine and drop it into drive will the engine try to pull off and do you have to press the brakes harder to stop it.. Is the check engine light on and have you had the codes checked? If it feels like it's power braking then I would say it's a faulty torque converter. The transmission will need to be removed to replace the torque converter..

I hope this helps, and if you need anymore assistance don't hesitate to ask
Brad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you think it could be the govener psi. i dont have any codes or check engine lights on. thank you Brad

John,

If the governor psi transducer or solenoid was faulty it would not cause the engine to rev up.. If it was bad it could cause the transmission not to go into 1st gear when slowing down and not taking off in 1st gear.. If it's reving up and the conditions match my description then I would say it's a faulty torque converter..

And you are very welcome for the help!!!
Brad