Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

ram 2500: I have a 2005 dodge with 5.9 cummins, other day it

I have a 2005 dodge with 5.9 cummins, other day it shut down while driving,, I was going slow at the time,, pulled over,,it turned over really fast.. had it towed back to my house ,, today I took off the valve cover,, turned it over,,,valves are not moving at all..is it possible the cam gear broke?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX you for allowing me to assist you! Yes. Either the cam shaft broke in the front end where it attach's to the gear, or the gear itself broke. This is not a very common thing on this engine to be honest with you, very rare. But if the rocker arms are not moving at all, then it has to be this. The next step will be to pull the timing cover and see if it is the gear or the camshaft. I am thinking that because of this failure, the valves themselves may have hit the pistons, and are now bent. If that is the case, then the cylinder head will need to be removed and repaired.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,, what would cause this to happen ?? should I be looking for a nother issue once ..head and new cam are finished.. again truck was slowing down at a red light when this happened.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Gene to be perfectly honest with you, I have never seen this happen. I have been working on these engines for over 15 years and this is the first time I have heard of this. Now did you say that a new cam was recently installed? If so, then I am thinking that something was not done correctly like bolts not torqued correctly, or defective parts.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the cam has never been replaced,, glad I could be the first on this issue,,(not) .. one last thing,, if the gear was the issue and I replaced it ,, any way to tell if the vavle or valves are bent with out removing the head ??

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Oh, ok. Well actually the way to tell if the valves became bent or damage is to go ahead and replace the gear, and then crank it. If it sounds normal and starts/runs ok, then you "dodged that bullet". If not, off with the head :((..

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech