Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.
9795573

ram 3500: can you do a in frame rebuild on a5.9 if the cyls

can you do a in frame rebuild on a5.9 if the cyls are good

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

Yes you can do an in frame rebuild, the only thing you cant get to is the rear main seal. I would remove the head first, and inspect the cylinders. If the cylinders look good, then an in frame rebuild is a very realistic goal. I would hold off buying the rebuild kit until you know if the cylinders are good. If the cylinders are damaged the engine will have to come out and taken to a machine shop to be bored out. That makes buying a rebuild kit kind of a wild card, because you might have to return some parts, for oversized parts. By removing the head first and carefully inspecting the cylinders, it saves you the trouble of removing the tough to remove oil pan in case the engine has to come out. Other than all of that, I would have the head rebuilt, and be sure to have it magnafluxed to check for cracks. This would be the best approach to doing this job. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.