Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

town and country: 2003 town and country wont start

2003 town and country wont start
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX there a red security light illuminated on the dahs when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there is not. I have an LX model and I do not believe it includes any type of security feature.

this does have the immobilizer for the key, if it does not see the proper signal from the key, it will start for a few seconds and die, it will do this 5 times, then on the 6 try, if the signal is not present, it will shut off the starter for 1 hour, is this waht its doing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I have not noticed any kind of pattern like that. Plus my keys are just "dumb" keys.

so right now, the starter does not even turn over?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

correct

ok, do you have a volt meter or test light? we need to see if you have 12 volts to the small wire at the starter when cranking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have checked that. The starter relay is not firing due to lack of ground on the coil (terminal 85). I can get the starter to engage if I jump a ground to that terminal of the relay, and turn the key. However it will not start. From what I have read, the PCM is responsible for the ground reference. I also tested that terminal 76 on the PCM is switching to ground when the transmission is in park or neutral, and that terminal 20 is getting 12vdc when ignition is switched to on.

ok, this ground comes fromthe computer, the computer has to see the trans in park or nuetral to give this termional ground, have you tried putting the trans in nuetral and starting it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have. I have tried moving the shifter up and down while engaging the key to start. That has had no effect. Terminal 76 on the PCM harness shorts to ground consistently only when the trans is in park or neutral.

then the transmission range sensor is good, and most likely a bad computer, have you had this on a scanner yet to see what the sensor reading is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an OBD II scanner here, but getting no codes.

on the datstream, is it showing the correct position of the shifter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the scanner has the capability to tell me that, I cant find it.

do you have a scanner or just a code reader?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It claims to be a scanner, but I can't find anything in the manual that has the capability to show shifter position. Is is an actron CP9175

this does not have a live datastream on it, just basic codes and freeze frame info, from what you said, the trans sensor is working if the wire is grounded when in nuetral and park, this just leaves a bad computer not grounding the relay for the starter, the only other thing that could cause this is the antitheft is enabled, but you would need a scanner with datastream to verify this also,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you say bad computer, do you mean the PCM?

Yes