Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.

Dodge Charger R/T: I have a 2006 charger R/T. It is stuck in

I have a 2006 charger R/T. It is stuck in park and has stranded my wife at work. I am in the military and away from home so I can't even check it out on my own. What do you suggest?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

This is a common problem on Chargers, and a few other models. There is a plastic interlock piece that acts up most of the time, and locks these into park. It is pretty easy to get it to pull out of park if you know the process. It can get deeper than that, if it does the shifter has to come out for repairs. I have a video that shows a trick that works most of the time. The plastic locking piece really stands out because it is bright pink. I will post a link HERE for the video. If this part isn't the source of the problem, there is another piece on the front of the shifter that can fail too and cause this same symptom. It is buried and the shifter has to be removed to access it. Hopefully it is the more common problem, and she can get it unstuck with the video. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience: I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.