-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

I have a 2012 Grand Caravan. I am installing a trailer hitch

I have a 2012 Grand Caravan. I am installing a trailer hitch and there is no provision to connect the trailer lights into the harness. Chrysler offers a wiring harness for 120.00 to be run from the front of the vehicle to the rear. Do I have to do this like that or can I tie into the rear harness like we use to do? If this is possible I will need a wiring diagram for the harness. Thank you
Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your question today...

I'm a 15 Yr Dodge Dealership technician, and yes the best way is to install the wiring harness.. Why? Well on your vehicle the turn signal and brake lights come from the TIPM which is the Totally Integrated Power Module(Fuse Box) under the hood.. It's a computer as well as a fuse box and it measure the voltage on each of the circuits and if one of them are drawing too much voltage or causing a over voltage issue the TIPM will set a code and turn off that circuit until the key is cycled.. And if it see's that same issue for 255 starts then it will permantly turn off that circuit and you will need to replace the TIPM which is quite expensive...

So I would recommend installing the Mopar harness to ensure reliability and no future issues.. I hope this helps, and if you need anymore assistance don't hesistate to ask

Have a greatday,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the time to install the harness?

We charge 1hr to install the harness...