Dodge-Tech
Dodge-Tech, Dodge Enthusiast
Experience:  Certified Inspection Mechanic, 12 + years hands on trouble shooting and repair in a vast range of makes and models.

Dodge Pick Up: What happens if you put too much oil in the

What happens if you put too much oil in the engine. 99 Dodge 5speed 4x4
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge-Tech replied 10 months ago.

Dodge-Tech :

Welcome to JA!

Dodge-Tech :

To much Oil "Over filled" can be devastating to your engine. It can break Piston Rings, cause air to mix into the oil creating a foam that can ruin Crank and Cam bearings. It can also flood the Cylinder heads and force oil out of the Valve covers.

Dodge-Tech :

I would drain the Oil completely and replace it and the Filter right away.

Dodge-Tech :

If she didn't run the engine long, chances are good the engine is fine. It might smoke for a few miles but it should clear right up.

Dodge-Tech :

Do you have any questions for me? :)

Dodge-Tech :

Just let me know :)

Customer:

Got sidetracked.

Customer:

I don't know how far she drove. She said it sounded funny so she called her uncle.

Dodge-Tech :

Did she describe the noise?

Customer:

she said she started the truck and the gague was all the way up. so she checked the oil and it was over full - to the point it says THIS IS TOO FULL DO NOT RUN ENGINE.

Customer:

so she turned it off. she called her uncle to see what to do - which ended up with oil all over her friends driveway.

Dodge-Tech :

Ok, I think you lucked out. Just change the oil and filter with the proper amount and you should be good to go :)

Customer:

she just got the truck. she was told that it uses 1 quart of oil per 5000 miles. she went a little overboard

Dodge-Tech :

It could have a leaking Oil Pan gasket. That would explain the oil all over the place.

Dodge-Tech :

And cause it to leak 1 quart every 5K miles :)

Customer:

no - the oil all over the place was her getting some of the oil out.

Dodge-Tech :

Ah ok

Dodge-Tech :

Yeah it should be just fine.

Customer:

Ok then, I guess I will let her drive home. I was going to go get her and leave the truck till someone could look at it in the morning. Thanks

Dodge-Tech :

Make sure the oil is at the right level first .

Dodge-Tech :

It will be Ok to change it later :)

Dodge-Tech, Dodge Enthusiast