Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge Ram 1500: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 overheats under load,fan

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 overheats under load,fan clutch has been replaced,rad seems to be clean
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Amedee :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Amedee :

Please allow me to ask a few questions in order to better help resolve your concern.

Amedee :

Have you checked for emissions in the cooling system?

Customer:

yes

Amedee :

Hello

Amedee :

And what were the readings/results?

Customer:

What are you talking about ?

Amedee :

I asked if you checked for emissions in the cooling system

Amedee :

and you said "yes"

Customer:

what do you mean by emissions ?

Amedee :

Hydro carbons and Carbon Monoxide

Customer:

I have been a mechanic for years and am now retired from the business and in my day we never checked for Hydro carbons etc.

Amedee :

This is a good test to check to see if the head gasket is blown

Customer:

I have no way to perform this test,but there no oil in radiator or water in the oil

Amedee :

Excellent

Amedee :

This is a good sign

Amedee :

You are looking for possible causes right?

Amedee :

??

Customer:

yes,I am trying to find out why engine can set and idle for hours but as soon as you go on the road and travel up hills or under load its overheats to the point going into the Red (danger zone) Driving on interstate it run at normal temp

Amedee :

Good. That is exactly what I am I giving you. Some possible causes. I do hope that you appreciate my help. Now May I please give you some more possible causes?

Customer:

yes

Amedee :

Thank you

Amedee :

If there are no emissions in the radiator, then the next two possible causes would be a plugged radiator and or a bad water pump causing this overheating condition

Customer:

ok, I am inclined to agree with you,do you think it would help to flush the radiator even tho the coolant looks bright?

Amedee :

You could sure give it a try. However, my experience has been that when the radiator is plugged up, it will need to be replaced.

Amedee :

I have not had any luck in flushing a plugged radiator out successfully.

Amedee :

Does that make sense?

Amedee :

Does that help?

Customer:

ok,when the engine is warmed up and the thermostat has opened,with radiator cap is off and I rev up engine rpms if water pump is working properly ,shouldn't water circulate to the point that it comes out of the radiator fill neck ?

Amedee :

To be honest, this is not a very reliable test.

Amedee :

Some vehicle do and some dont. It all depends on how the cooling system is designed.

Customer:

ok,any suggestions on how to eliminate the water pump,I hate to replace it unless I have to because it looks like a bear to replace

Amedee :

You will have to remove it and then look at the impeller for damage

Customer:

ok,anyway to check radiator for blockage?

Amedee :

I would check the temp on either side of the radiator to see if there is a major difference

Customer:

ok,thanks ,If I have any further questions how may I get back to you?

Amedee :

YES, you may. Just one thing before you go

Amedee :

I ask that you rate my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today

Amedee :

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page

Amedee :

It has been a pleasure working with you today

Amedee :

Best Regards

Amedee :

Amedee

Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector