Dodge-Tech
Dodge-Tech, Dodge Enthusiast
Experience:  Certified Inspection Mechanic, 12 + years hands on trouble shooting and repair in a vast range of makes and models.

Ram 1500: I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 4.7. Had the heads

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 4.7. Had the heads rebuilt and put back. Getting gas but not getting any fire to plugs. Engine won't fire. Solution?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge-Tech replied 10 months ago.

Dodge-Tech :

Welcome to JA!

Sorry to hear your truck wont start. No spark can mean a few things and I will try my best to give the info needed to get it going.

Dodge-Tech :

Just reply to me here when you are ready to begin :)

Customer:

Ready

Dodge-Tech :

Sorry for the delay :)

Dodge-Tech :

Did you install the Heads?

Customer:

Yes, had a mechanic to install.

Dodge-Tech :

Ok,

Dodge-Tech :

Incorrectly set timing can cause this too. How certian are you it was set correctly?

Customer:

Pretty sure. It cranks but will not get fire to plugs.

Dodge-Tech :

There is a tone wheel on the end of cam that the Cam sensor uses to determain Spark and Fuel timing. Any chance it was damaged?

Customer:

Possibly. Could it be the crank sensor?

Dodge-Tech :

It could, I just wanted to go over the stuff you guys had apart doing the heads.

Dodge-Tech :

The Cam Sensor works together with the Crank Sensor..So if the timing was off. It wouldn't start either.

Customer:

I don't think the tone wheel was damaged. Is the wheel you mentioned on the right side?

Dodge-Tech :

Yes. Its just behing the cam geat

Dodge-Tech :

Gear

Customer:

Mechanic is at a loss as to why truck won't start. Need suggestions for other things to try.

Dodge-Tech :

Are there any codes?

Customer:

Mechanic tried a computer check but couldn't get anything to read on his meter.

Dodge-Tech :

Ok,... Crank sensor could be bad. I get give you a test to try on it :) Just a second

Dodge-Tech :

Ok I lied, I can not locate a test for this model year. Without codes I doubt its a sensor. The 2 Most likely causes are a Bad PCM or Its out of time.

You can sometimes get a code by rolling the engine over for 10 seconds at a time.

Customer:

What is a PCM? If it's out of time would it backfire when starting?

Dodge-Tech :

Not always. If the PCM "Powertrain Control Module" doesn't detect the notches in the tone wheels it kills the spark. The Cam and Crank Tone wheels must me in sync to produce spark.

Customer:

I've tried everything we've talked about so I'm just going to take it to the local Dodge dealer tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Dodge-Tech :

The PCM also sends power to the Crank sensor, so you might check it for power :)

Customer:

Where is the PCM located?

Dodge-Tech :

If you like I can Opt out for another Expert?

Dodge-Tech :

The PCM is under the Hood. Its a silver box with 3 plugs going into it.

Dodge-Tech :

Its begind the air filter housing

Dodge-Tech :

behind.

Dodge-Tech :

On the Firewall...

Dodge-Tech :

Sorry about that

Customer:

OK. No need to bring in another tech - I'm satisfied with the answers you have given. I haven't checked that so I'll try that. Thanks again.

Dodge-Tech :

You are very welcome, just stop back in here with any further questions you might have :)

Dodge-Tech, Dodge Enthusiast