-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Dodge: Hi Brad, I purchased a 2013 Dodge Charger R/T a

Hi Brad,

I purchased a 2013 Dodge Charger R/T a few months ago. Last night I stopped to get gas and popped the fuel door open. I got out to pump and realized I did not have my wallet with me. I got back in the car and drove home with the fuel door still open (I was distracted with not having my wallet and just forgot to shut the fuel door).

It rained last night (of course). Fuel door was open. As you know that car doesn't have a gas cap.

Car is still in my driveway and I have not started it yet.

Any thoughts on what I should do next? I'm not sure how much water would have gotten in, probably a small amount, but I can't be sure.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your question today...

I'm a 15 Yr Dodge Dealership technician, and it had a fuel door flapper and no rain should have got into the gas tank... There is no way to tell 100% if any rain got into the tank without dropping it.. How much rain did you get?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well .. hard to tell.

I think we got a few scattered thunder showers last night. I don't think it rained constantly. But we did have a period of good rain last night.

The tank only has a few gallons in it. Should I risk starting it up and driving it to put more gas in the tank? Or would you go another route?

I don't have another car here at the moment. My wife will be back home a the end of the day.

What do you think?

I agree with you that the metal flapper should have kept out some of the rain. The door was open, but the gasket mostly sealed the opening. There might have been a space the size of a nickel that would have allowed rain to enter.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply!!

Ok here is what I would do.. Drive it to the parts store and get a can of Water in Fuel.. Something like Formula X2 or something that's going to remove any water(If Any) and then go and fill it up.. This should take care of any water in there and like you said it's a small hole and if any water got in there is very little....

Let me know your thoughts,