Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Dodge Enthusiast
Experience:  Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.
18042535

I cannot remove the spark plug

I cannot remove the spark plug due to a warped metal shroud around the spark plug. 

Dodge-Tech :

Welcome to JA!

Dodge-Tech :

Whats the Year, Make, Model and Engine size please :)

Dodge-Tech :

Hi there :)

Customer:

2001 Dodge Ram 3500 van 318 cid 104000 miles

Dodge-Tech :

Ok, thanks.

Dodge-Tech :

Do you mean the Circular metal ring that surrounds the plug and protects the Plug Boot?

Customer:

Yes it is warped and has burrs and I cannot get the socket to bottom out on to the plug for removal. I already replaced 2 and broke the third plug

Dodge-Tech :

Sorry to hear that :(

Grab some lube and a pair of Vice Grips. Spray the ring around the outside of it. Grab it with the vice grips and start twisting it. It will come out.

Dodge-Tech :

Full Size Image

Dodge-Tech :

They are tapped into the head so it might take some time to get it out.

Customer:

It is very rusty and at this point because the plug is already broken I will try the vice grip. I was hesitant to try that because I wanted to avoid multiplying my problem. Should I do the same for the remaining plugs?

Dodge-Tech :

You can yes. As long as you use some type of wire holder to keep the Wires up you will be just fine without them :)

Customer:

Thank you for the info.