-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

ram 2500 diesel: I jave a dodge ram 2500 with a cummins engine

Customer Question

I jave a dodge ram 2500 with a cummins engine , the year is 1998 with a 48re transmission and the problem that I have with this truck is that when I'm driving on the freeway the transmission is working on fourth and third back and fourth in and out, I have adjusted the front band already , I have replaced the governor pressure solenoid and the pressure sensor ,the over drive solenoid with the harness and I have replaced the components inside the over drive housing, what else may I do for fixing this problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

1) This is not an answer nor a direct info request to your concern.
2) First off I am checking to see if you have already resolved your concern.

3) If you do still need help, if there is anything more you think would help me answer your question, please reply with that info.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass. I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I work on this site only in the evening hours 7 days a week. I am online normally from 3-midnight. At the latest you should get a response from me prior to 9pm TN time.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

Chris

>

>

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok this is the problem that I have ,when I'm driving on the highway the transmission is working on fourth and third sliding back and fourth I mean in and out ,
I put a new torque converter ,all the solenoids and sensors are new ,I adjust the bands already, and all the parts on the overdrive housing or extension are new too,and I still having the same problem, what else can I do for fixing this problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Nobody answer anything , the guy that sent something he just say I'm sorry for taking too long
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your question today...

I'm a 15 Yr Dodge Dealership technician and it sounds like you have torque converter shudder.. Can you do me a favor? Go have a look and tell me if the alternator wiring is under the top alternator bracket.. If the main harness is under the bracket then loosen the top bracket and move the wiring on top.. Tighten the bracket and take it for a drive...

Let me know if you still have the surge, and we can continue.. If it stops let me know and I will tell you what's going on.
Brad
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes I still having the same problem , few seconds ago I went to check the alternator with the multimetor and the charge is 18 well that's good I think so

well the bracket has 4 wires ,1 is ground 2 charger , and 2 of them are together

Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

This isn't a charging issue.. Is the wiring on top of the bracket?

Brad
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no is not on top, the bracket is on top and the wiring is underneath

Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.
Can you move it on top of the bracket, and go drive it.. I want to make sure it will fix it and them I Will explain what is going on..

Brad
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Brad you are awesome , I already put a bonche of money on this transmission and you right is a stupid problem with the alternator I will clean all the terminals and may be put a new alternator , because I just moved and work wonderful ,

Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.
HI,

That is great news!!!

Ok what is happening is the alternator produces a small amout of AC voltage and RF interference and the torque converter picks up on it and it doesn;t like it at all.. By moving the wiring it doesn't allow the alternator to transmit it thru the wires...

Glad I could help and feel free to request me for all your Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep needs..

Have a awesome day,
Brad