-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Ram 2500 Tradesman: 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 switched power source: Im

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 switched power source:

I'm looking for a power source on the new rams to power a couple accessories. Past years I've been able to grab it at the ignition harness but they gone low voltage there now it seems like.

I want to be able to power up a satellite radio and a cell phone booster when the truck is on, and turn off when the truck is off. So a switched ignition source or Accessory source would be best.

Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your question today...

I'm a 15 Yr Dodge Dealership technician, and have you thought about running a wires from the fuse box with a fuse jumper to the inside? This way you aren't drawing too much voltage off whatever circuit you would tap into inside.. If not just let me know and I will get a 2013 off the lot and locate you a wire on the inside that possibly would be able to carry the extra current draw...

Let me know,
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that would be the best way I can certainly jump off the fuse block in the engine bay. Which one are you thinking would be sufficient to power these two accessories? Separate runs for each or could I power them both with one run? I've got lots of 8 gauge primary wire....
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
HI Dallas,

Thanks for the reply!!

Well with today's circuits tapping into a 12v ignition feed that is going to a particular device will cause it not to receive full 12v and possibly cause a fault.. And to be honest I would run a separate wire to the fuse block under the hood.. Now when you do, just remove maybe the radio fuse and with key and fuse removed make sure the fuse tap is installed on the side that has 12v coming into the fuse and not the one that is going out to the component. Also install a fuse on the wire for safety precautionsWink

Then you will be able to run your things fine.. But if you plan on adding something like a CB radio or anything that would draw that much current, then I would add a relay.. You will want to run a wire from the battery to the relay and then a wire from a ignition feed to turn the relay on.. Then you will be able to have a switched 12v feed that will provide battery amperage to your devices....

I hope this helps, and if you need anymore assistance don't hesistate to ask
Brad
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)