Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

Truck randomly starts to shake and sputter while driving. If

Truck randomly starts to shake and sputter while driving. If im quick or lucky enough i can throw it into N and back to D and it will stop but sometimes it will die and i have to pull over completely stop and start her again. 123k on a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 L V8. It has been very well taken care of but it is quite old. any help would be awesome as i am wanting to work on it myself on base.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

Most likely it is going to be the fuel pump acting up randomly. The best way to confirm it would be to have a fuel pressure gauge on it when it acts up. The other possibility could be the ecm acting up, but it sounds more like the fuel pump, especially if you are not getting a check engine light or any codes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) What is an EMC?

2) Are either hard to replace?

I wouldn't say I am a novice but I certainly lack experience on mechanics. Is it something I could do if I got the tools and manuals ( and beer )?

The fuel pump is in the tank, so the fuel tank has to come out. But it is not that bad. The ecm is the computer and is very easy to replace.